Welcome to the Volunteer Page!
The Vancouver Fringe Festival is looking forward to another exciting year of friendly faces, great theatre, and fun times with people like you, who make up our talented cast of volunteers! We foster an inclusive and diverse environment, so people from various backgrounds are welcome to join and take part in one of the best theatre festivals in town!
What is the Fringe?
The Vancouver Fringe is a celebration of Theatre for Everyone. The Fringe strives to break down traditional boundaries and encourage open dialogue between audiences and artists by presenting live un-juried, uncensored theatre in an accessible and informal environment.
Artists collect 100% of the base ticket price, so our volunteers are the lifeblood of the Vancouver Fringe Festival! Each year, over 500 volunteers take on a variety of roles from helping set up venues, to serving drinks at the Fringe Bar, to selling tickets, to ushering, and much more. We have a very small number of permanent staff, so the Fringe couldn’t exist without volunteers like you!
Thank you to all the amazing volunteers who helped us make the 2019 Fringe an absolute success! We will be recruiting for the 2020 Vancouver Fringe Festival very soon!
Volunteering at the Fringe
Please take a look at our Volunteer Positions before you sign up to make sure we are a good fit for you.
2020 Volunteer Application is now open!
As always, we will need to fill a number of roles — from ticket sellers and ushers to site crew to bartenders to fundraisers, and a whole lot more! So no matter what your area of interest, there will be a volunteer position that is just right for you.
If you aren’t already signed up for our volunteer newsletter, click here to sign up! We share key volunteer information about the Fringe, as well as opportunities from other organizations!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Fringe Volunteer Policies
Our volunteers are expected to:
- Work a minimum of 16 hours (We recognize that during these unprecedented times committing to this number of hours may be a barrier for some folks. Please let us know if you require additional considerations or support.)
- Commit to the shifts they have selected and confirmed
- Arrive to their shifts on time
- Follow the Fringe Festival’s health & safety protocols
- Participate in one of the online Volunteer Training sessions (dates TBD)
- Volunteers who are unable to attend the training sessions in live-time will be required to watch the training video(s) prior to their first shift
- Be kind, respectful and have a lot of fun!
Theatre for everyone: The Vancouver Fringe is a safe space for everyone who wishes to participate and take part in our wonderful community of volunteers, artists, patrons, and donors. We DO NOT tolerate harassment of any kind (including but not limited to: gender identity, race, immigration status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation, etc). A harassment complaint will result (depending on its severity) in a reprimand and warning, or immediate termination of volunteers and/or staff.
Volunteer Commitment: All our volunteers are expected to show up to their shift on time, and to fulfill their role to the best of their ability in accordance to our Training Manuals and Volunteer Training guidelines, policies and procedures.
What’s different for 2020
With the scale of the Festival being different than previous years, Vancouver Fringe have had to adapt as an organization, including its volunteer department. To ensure the health and safety of all volunteers, we have made the following changes:
- No in-person volunteer centre/hospitality
- All volunteer training will be done online via Zoom and/or videos
- No physical Volunteer Rush Pass (rush admission is still offered)
Although many things may be different this year, one thing that will NOT change is our love and appreciation for our volunteers!
Some of our volunteer perks include:
- Rush admission to Fringe performances
- Light snacks and refreshments on shift
- An invitation to all Volunteer Appreciation events (2020 details TBD)
- The chance to support the local theatre and arts community
- A fun, interactive volunteer experience!
WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO BE PART OF OUR FRINGE FAMILY!