Your guide to taking part in the Festival
Vancouver Fringe 2022
Vancouver Fringe is proud to offer all artists equal opportunity to participate in its annual Festival by use of a lottery system. Any interested parties are thrown into a hat each December, with selections being made shortly after in January.
The schedule is then built around all artists who confirm, with Vancouver Fringe supporting the tech, marketing & box office required to draw in a crowd.
We are proud to make the process as easy as possible, so artists can remain focused on what they love – creating awe-inspiring work for our audiences.
Please Note: The Fringe Lottery for 2022 is now closed and will reopen in April for the 2023 Festival.
Using our entry submission platform, Eventotron, you can throw your name into the hat for our latest Fringe Lottery. This will provide you with a chance to participate in this year’s Fringe Festival from 8 – 18 Sep 2022. All applicants are required to cover a $25 administration fee, payable during the submission process.
To ensure the lottery is managed fairly, artists must only submit one performance per year. Artists who submit more than one performance (error aside) risk losing their place in the lottery without a refund offered.
We particularly welcome and encourage artists from IBPoC backgrounds, with 50% of lottery slots in each category being pulled from those who self-identify as Indigenous, Black or other racialized communities.
All digital pre-recorded shows and site-specific shows will feature in the 2022 Festival program. A $25 administration fee is still required for this, alongside reduced participation fees ($100 digital pre-recorded / $500 site-specific). Please be sure to mark your event as either ‘Digital’ or ‘Site-specific’ during the submission process.
Please Note: Artists for our 2022 Festival have now been selected, and this stage of the application process is now closed.
Should your event be pulled from the lottery draw, you have 14 days to confirm your participation and pay the relevant fee to secure your spot. Should you choose not to participate at this stage (or the confirmation deadline has passed), we will begin approaching artists on the waitlist to fill the vacancy.
Participation Fees (payable on Eventotron)
- Shows up to 30 mins: $550
- Shows up to 60 mins: $750
- Teen, Senior & Youth shows: $550
- Site-specific shows: $500
- Artists will be contacted in June to determine site location on Granville Island and assist with any necessary site permissions.
- Artists must be able to accommodate six performances across the Festival.
- Artists must hire their own technician for lighting and sound.
- Artists will create their own schedule and submit to the Fringe.
We make 10 subsidy spaces available for artists who self-identify their economic or accessibility needs. Artists can apply for this subsidy in confidence via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: The deadline for material submissions has now passed. Should you have encountered any technical issues, please contact email@example.com
Once a show has been selected from the Fringe Lottery and all participation fees have been paid, artists will be required to submit their show materials within 14 days. These include:
- Completed show copy
- Key image
- Rehearsal/production photos
- Full show recording (Digital pre-recorded shows only)
- Closed Captioning for the D/deaf/hard of hearing community or Audio Description for the low vision community (Digital pre-recorded shows only)
Please log back in to Eventotron to submit these materials. If you have a confirmed place, an updated entry form will be available via your account.
Following this, we will begin programming venues, populating the website, and building the Festival schedule.
- If artists do not self-identify IBPoC during the entry submission process, these events will join the non-IBPoC lottery.
- We will not be managing the ‘Bring Your Own Venue (BYOV)’ category for 2022.
- Vancouver Fringe will do its best to match artists and shows with an appropriate venue.
- A waitlist for each category will be created during the Fringe Lottery.
- You must provide a ‘Company Name’ or ‘Main Contact Name’ at the time of application, and this name cannot be changed at any time thereafter.
- We reserve the right to withdraw events from the Festival at our discretion (subject to discussion).
- If artists cannot deliver promotional materials to deadline, we reserve the right to exclude the show from certain materials.
- Tickets are sold for $15 inclusive of taxes and fees. Artists will receive 100% of the base ticket price ($12 per ticket). Discounted tickets may be purchased with a Friends membership or in a multi-buy promotion, which may impact total compensation.
- Participation Fees must be paid in full by Tue 24 May, or the artist risks removal of their event. A new artist or company will then be chosen from the appropriate category on the waitlist.
- A listing in the 2022 Digital Program Guide
- Fully managed Box Office
- Front of House services, delivered by our Volunteer team
- A tech team member per show (in-person events only)
- A curated media list (artists are required to contact the press for individual shows)
- 100% of the regular Box Office revenue generated by the performing artist or company
- Opportunities for paid ad space in the 2022 Digital Program Guide, on social media and/or our eNewsletter (on a first come, first served basis – places limited)
- Coverage in at least one social media post across all platforms and within one of our eNewsletters, alongside the wider festival campaign (site-specific shows only)
- Entries Open for Fringe Lottery: Tue 15 Mar
- Entries Close for Fringe Lottery: Tue 19 Apr
- Lottery Winners Announced: Fri 9 May
- Advertising Spots Deadline (eNews, program guide, social media etc): Mon 23 May
- Participation Fee Deadline: Tue 24 May
- Site-Specific Show Schedule Deadline: Wed 1 Jun
- Adverting Materials Deadline: Tue 14 Jun
- Adult (19-59)
- Teen (13-19)
- Young People’s Theatre (8-12)
- Senior (60+)