MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
For over 35 years, The Vancouver Fringe Theatre Society has produced the Vancouver Fringe Festival, BC’s largest theatre festival! Pursuing the vision of “Theatre for Everyone,” the Fringe Festival features un-curated, uncensored theatre of all kinds for all audiences. The 2022 Festival will take place September 8-18 at venues on Granville Island and we are seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager to join our team
The Marketing & Communications Manager has overall responsibility for brand management and corporate identity and all aspects of the Fringe’s marketing and audience development programs. They will lead the creation and implementation of strategies to diversify sources of income for the Vancouver Fringe Festival Society and ensure strong and clear stakeholder relationships to advance the Society’s key objectives. The ideal candidate must be passionate about supporting indie artists, cultivating community involvement, and fostering the development of independent theatre and performing arts in Vancouver. They will possess the ability to thrive in a busy, fast-paced atmosphere, be a strategic and collaborative thinker with excellent organizational skills.
The Marketing & Communications Manager reports to the Executive Director.
Leadership and Engagement
• Attend festivals, events, shows, exhibitions, industry gatherings, and philanthropic activities and events throughout the year, as necessary.
• Engage fully in the Festival and support the Executive Director & Operations Manager in marketing the Festival.
• Establish and maintain positive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, artists, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the Fringe.
Festival Planning and Management
• Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives for marketing and communications activities on behalf of the Fringe.
• With the Operations Manager, devise and manage an annual marketing budget.
• Create an innovative audience development and sales strategy built on the Fringe brand for the Festival as well as year-round artist support and advocacy.
• Responsible for dynamic content creation for website, email, and social media channels.
• Provide regular analysis of the Fringe’s marketing and communications efforts.
• Manage marketing campaigns including web, SEO/SEM, email, social media and print/display advertising.
• Prepare and deliver show and ticketing information for sales launches.
• Track box office sales and adjust email and advertising campaigns as needed to meet the Fringe’s goals.
• Monitor market trends, research consumer markets and competitor activities and identify key issues and opportunities.
• Work with the Development Manager to develop and enhance promotion and recognition tools.
• Work closely with the Operations Manager and Development Manager to secure in-kind hospitality and venue partners and grow strategic relationships.
• Work closely with the Executive Director, the Operations Manager & Development Manager to promote the Festival.
• Ensure that all communications represent the Fringe’s brand and voice.
• Present ideas and final deliverables to internal and external teams, and communicate with management about marketing programs, strategies, and budgets.
• Create, maintain, and implement digital marketing and editorial calendars, as well as a communications plan.
• Build and manage relationships with stakeholders including funders, corporate partners, commercial sponsors, and media.
• Design and market Festival advertising packages.
• Secure in-kind hospitality and venue partners and grow strategic relationships.
• Analyse customer insights, consumer trends, and best practices to build successful strategies.
• Maintain a positive, healthy, and safe work environment which encourages diversity, accessibility and engagement.
• Oversee planning and deployment of annual Festival staff and the expansion of the communications team, including recruiting, hiring, onboarding, training, and supervising staff.
• Identify and manage issues of a sensitive nature; escalate matters as appropriate to the Executive Director.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
• Cultivate a positive, supportive and inclusive workplace for all staff, volunteers and stakeholders.
• Work with the Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee & the Operations Manager to implement appropriate EDI policies of the Society.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business or Communications.
• 3-5 years’ experience in a marketing or related role within the non-profit sector.
• Literacy in digital marketing and analytics tools such as web CMS, email marketing services, and all Microsoft and Google applications including Ad Words and Analytics.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and creative tools.
• Strong multitasking, time management, collaborative and decision-making skills.
• Proven record of developing and implementing successful communications campaigns.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively for specific audience groups.
• Passion for the arts and entertainment industry and for connecting artists and audiences.
• Ability to work flexible hours.
Salary range: $ 50,000 – $55,000 + benefits.
Location: Granville Island, Vancouver
Please submit your resume and cover letter by April 8, 2022 at 4pm, to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Vancouver Fringe Festival is committed to creating a just, equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We value the leadership of people who have been historically and systemically marginalized and strongly encourage racialized, Indigenous, persons with disabilities and LGBTQIA2+ candidates to apply for the role.