Dramatic Works Application Before – DELETE
The Fringe is proud to announce that we will continue the Dramatic Works Series in 2016! The venue is the Vancity Culture Lab, and it will be chock full of previously published dramatic plays. Read below for more information on this exciting opportunity!
The Mainstage Drama Venue is supported by the Lochmaddy Foundation.
Applications will be open for ONE DAY on December 9, 2015 at 10am PST, and close on December 10, 2015 at 10am PST. The lottery will take place on December 14. The fee is $800 including a $50 administration fee.
To apply, you will need your contact information, contact information for a secondary contact, and basic information on your script (title, author and publisher).
To view all important dates and deadlines click here.
1. The Application Process
The Dramatic Works Category was new in 2014! Here are some of the things that differentiate this category from the regular Mainstage category:
- Artists must apply with a published dramatic script
- The length must fall between 30-100 minutes
- There must be two (2) or more actors in the script (no one-man shows)
- Shows will take place at the Vancity Culture Lab
- The Fringe will subsidize royalty costs up to $200
- The Fringe will provide mentorship from a Vancouver director
- Applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis, pending eligibility
In the Dramatic Works Category, shows are placed in the Vancity Culture Lab, including a technician and basic sound and lighting. We will accept six (6) artist groups. Shows can be from 30-100 minutes in length, not including the 15-minute set-up and take-down time. A venue and 5-6 time slots will be assigned by the Fringe, plus a technical rehearsal (up to 3 hours). Applicants may apply to both the Dramatic Works Series and Regular Mainstage categories if they qualify, but they must do so with separate application forms. If an applicant is accepted into the Drama category, they will be removed from the Mainstage lottery.
The Fringe also provides:
• A venue equipped with a stage, basic lighting, and sound
• A technician
• A technical rehearsal of up to 3 hours
• A show schedule of 5-6 performances
• A listing in the Festival program guide and Festival publicity
• Advance and at-door box office
• Front-of-house services through volunteer teams
• Access to the local media list and publicity information
• 100% of the regular box office revenue generated by the performing company
• Third party liability insurance
For more information about how the Fringe works, check out Fringe 101.
2. Fee Structure & Payment
If the applicant is accepted as a Dramatic Works Artist, Mainstage Artist Fees (see below) must be paid within one week of receiving an application approval. Payment instructions will be included in the approval email. After this deadline, accepted artists with outstanding payment will be moved to the bottom of the waitlist, and the first waitlisted artist will be offered their spot. Payment confirms your acceptance of a spot in the Festival.
Dramatic Works Fees (including the non-refundable $50.00 administration fee)
- The Fringe does not accept Dramatic Works productions over 100 minutes in length.
- All fees will be deposited immediately.
- Accepted companies who withdraw will be refunded (less the $50 administration fee) until the withdrawal deadline of April 6, 2016 at 5:00pm PST. After that date and time no refunds will be issued.
- There will be a charge of $25.00 for all cheques returned with non-sufficient funds.
- Tickets are sold for $14 inclusive of taxes and fees. The artists get 100% of the BASE ticket price, which is $11 per ticket. Some tickets may be purchased with Frequent Fringer cards, which would have a $9 or $10 payout per ticket.
- All application fees are tax-free!
Visit this page again on December 9, 2015 at 10am pst to apply to be a Dramatic Works Artist in the 2016 Vancouver Fringe Festival!
Contact us at artist@vancouverfringe if you have any questions.